17 Sept 2007

goodbye work

it's now official and done. i handed in my resignation today and i feel like a massive weight has been lifted. i know that i've already quit, but it didn't feel done with until today. my resignation got handed in and emailed to all the right people and is pretty much as official as it can get. i only have one problem though, i didn't burn my bridges, ie tell the people i wanted to to get fucked and rot in hell. it's the one part of quitting that really seems to lift the weight of one's shoulders, but something about coming home broke and desperate and needing a job stopped me from doing this. i suppose it's smart not to, but it is still a little disappointing to know that so much more could have been said and i didn't say it.

on the other hand though, i have never felt more free and excited at work. i only have two shifts left and i can't wait to be done with it. it seems like as soon as i started at this job every ounce of creativity left me and for the past three years i have just been coasting along and not living up to my full potential. hopefully this will change now that i can start staying up all night and writing again without the worry of work. the biggest thing i will get out of this is never again having to worry about new phones, mystery shopping and what someone else thinks of the way i dress, act or behave. (i worked in phone retail) i have never really been someone that's cut out for the nine to five routine. and until recently i've kinda forgotten this and begun drudging myself around under the assumption that this was how my life would play out. thankfully i have been able to pull myself together and get out of that. i don't know what i would have done if i had of woken up at 40 still doing what i did. killed myself probably, with a note stapled to my forehead saying, 'here lies tim. a dried up husk of humanity because he forgot to live for himself.' but not anymore. i'm going to freakin' germany!?!

No comments: